In this free public talk, science communicator, molecular biologist and music artist Raven Baxter, Ph.D., aka Raven the Science Maven, will share her passion for breaking through stereotypes about scientists that keep diverse voices from being heard.
Dr. Raven Baxter — better known as Raven the Science Maven — is an internationally acclaimed American educator, molecular biologist, rapper and fashionista. She is a sought after public speaker, most recently appearing on a panel for STARZ #TakeTheLead Initiative discussing Advancing Equity Across Industries and finding strategies for better representation. Her upcoming projects include a science-focused podcast and book.
Dr. Baxter has been awarded American Association of University Women's Women of Distinction, Fortune Magazine’s 40 Under 40, Forbes 30 under 30 and most recently recognized as a Mastermind in AfroTech’s inaugural Future 50 list. She has been the keynote speaker at the National Science Teaching Association, National PTA Conference and many more!
Dr. Baxter has recently been published in Harper's Bazaar, Washington Post and Yahoo for her work in STEM advocacy. She has had partnerships with major brands including Netflix (starring in a cameo and remixing the theme song of the popular children’s show "Ada Twist, Scientist'').
Raised by a single mother in North Carolina and New York, Dr. Baxter’s curiosity to explore the world around her at a young age developed into a lifelong affinity for science. Today, you may know her from her popular viral hip-hop videos such as her “Antibodyody Antibody Song” or her “Wipe it Down” to teach science lessons to the masses as she joyfully disrupts traditional cultural perceptions about scientists.
Follow Raven the Science Maven on YouTube, Twitter, and Instagram.
About Amplifying Voices
The Amplifying Voices Distinguished Lecture Series brings inspirational figures in research, innovation or entrepreneurship to campus to deliver a public lecture. Speakers are chosen by the graduate students and postdoctoral researchers in each academic division.
For the inaugural lecture, Raven Baxter, PhD was selected by graduate students and postdoctoral researchers in the Natural Sciences.
Princeton’s COVID-19 visitor policy requires that visitors:
- Be fully vaccinated for COVID-19, be prepared to show proof of vaccination, and follow the policy for masks in effect at the time of their visit OR
- Have a negative test for COVID-19 via PCR within 72 hours before the start of the scheduled visit or via rapid antigen test within 8 hours before the start of the scheduled visit and be prepared to show proof of the negative test OR
- Agree to wear a mask at all times when indoors. These individuals cannot remove their masks inside of University buildings, not even to eat or drink.
- Office of the Dean for Research
- Office of the Provost Institutional Equity & Diversity
- The Graduate School