Academic Research Infrastructure Plan
Department chairs and institute directors, working closely with academic managers and, where applicable, building managers (e.g., Engineering Quadrangle) must submit to the Office of the Dean for Research a plan for resumption of research activities (Academic Research Infrastructure Plan). The plan must include identification of critical dependencies (e.g., utilities, loading docks, procurement), a plan for re-opening core facilities, a plan for enforcing social distancing and personal protective equipment usage, and best practices for cleaning and circulation patterns in common areas.
Research Infrastructure Plans must be approved by the Office of the Dean for Research.
- Department chairs and institute directors, working closely with academic managers and, where applicable, building managers (for example, in the Engineering Quadrangle) must prepare a plan for the resumption of research activities (Academic Research Infrastructure Plan).
- Consider your experience during the past several weeks. Which services can be provided remotely and which require on site personnel? Which facilities and services will be needed to support the phased resumption of research?
- Prepare to resume operations with an understanding that information and guidelines will continue to evolve. Your experience and that of the campus and the broader community should be used to improve operations as time goes on.
- Additional guidance for buildings and common areas is anticipated in mid- to late June.
- Customize the table of facilities and operations to those relevant to your unit.
- Complete all sections with sufficient detail to use this plan as a guide for staff and researchers in the department or institute.
- You may include additional information at the end of the document as needed.
- Submit your plan via the process below. The complete plan must be reviewed and receive approval from the Office of the Dean for Research (DFR) prior to the resumption of research.
Submission and Review Process
- The academic manager or designee uploads the Academic Research Infrastructure Plan to SHIELD on behalf of the unit and emails email@example.com to initiate the review process.
- The DFR’s approval will be communicated by email to the department chair or institute director with a copy to the academic manager.
- DFR will upload a copy of the approved plan as a PDF in SHIELD.